1.05.2008

Yeah, that's right. My man. He won.

Faithful readers of this blog- let's be honest, the few friends who read this- know that I'm not really into sports. Sure, I'll get fired up about the occasional real football game (soccer), or the Olympics every couple years, but generally, I'm not really into sports. But once ever four years, my favorite sporting event occurs, the most exciting of them all- the race for President of the United States.

It really is basically a sporting event. We have a number of teams, with regular games (read: polls), and 50 bowl games. And so far, there's been one bowl game for both leagues. (I used to say that these quaternary elections were also about as relevant to our lives as sports, considering the minimal differences between the two parties, but the past seven years have really put paid to that idea.)


Contrary to multiple polls indicating Edwards' strong 2nd choice showing (in which voters of candidates who get less than 15% shift their support to their 2nd choice), it was my man Obama who won the day, and that by a solid margin! Indeed, polls are now indicating a substantial lead for him in New Hampshire from the Iowa Bump. (Usually the Iowa Bump fades by the time New Hampshire comes along, but for the first time ever, the New Hampshire Bowl is only five days after the Corn Bowl.)

There are many reasons why I'm hot for Obama. He's the first candidate I've seen since Carter who not only has a strong faith in Jesus, but lets that faith really influence him in his decisions to care for the poor, the needy, and the outcasts. He's African-American, and that would just be way cool to achieve that milestone in American politics. He's worldly, in the sense that he's lived a large portion of his youth abroad, and indeed is the son of a non-US citizen, an African. I relate to that living in multiple cultures, and I think it gives Obama a great perspective that we need in these trying times, where he can see with an international perspective and not the merely myopic American look. And he went to my alma mater, so I kind of have an obligation there. (Yes, a friend has pointed out that that was no reason to vote for Jack Kemp, and she has a fine point.)

But most of all, he is the candidate of Hope. And that's key. Hope is expectant joy, in the Greek. It is the foundation of everything I believe as a Christian. It is the idea that things can change, and is the ability to inspire us to move beyond where we are now, to put our beliefs in something greater than who we are. I don't need specifics as much as someone who's approach to life is one I trust. I see that in his book. And after reading The Second Civil War, discussing the antagonism between the two parties over the past century, I want someone who can work with others who he disagrees with, who can build consensus and practice love of his enemies- even the ones in congress. I want someone who can actually get things done because he knows how to find compromise and agreements. Obama is that man.

Obama made a couple pronouncements in kindergarten. He also deserved the award "Works Well With Others". Or however you say that in Indonesian at the madrasa he supposedly went to.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I held a caucus in my classroom this week. Dem frontrunner was Obama (60%) over Hilary (30%). GOP frontrunner was Huckabee (50%) over Romney (24%) and McCain (17%). Because of the way I understand caucuses to run, Huckabee earned this percentage by having a single voter in one precinct. Of 5 precincts, I had only two with any rebulicans willing to caucus. however, I'll point out that one precinct was not permitted to hold a republican caucus.

Anyway, yes. Yay. Go Obama.

Jed Carosaari said...

Not allowed? What's the story there? And how'd you do this in biology classes? Did you have discussions of the candidates like they do at caucuses?

I don't pretend to understand how caucuses work, but I think there's a lot of variety; one caucus rules are different from another. Thus if a candidate polls less than 15% in any once precinct, then his supporters must withdraw or give their votes to another candidate. But that's only for the Democrats, and only in some states, like Iowa. Republicans in Iowa do a straight poll at the caucus.

From Facebook it seems Obama is polling very strongly, much stronger than anyone else, among those who can't yet vote.

Do to living in primary states during previous Presidential elections, or living abroad, this February will be my first caucus. I'm looking forward to it. It should be interesting.

Anonymous said...

Biology is Science. Science is Math. Elections are Math. I thought we'd all find the number interesting and they are eager to talk about this. At the time of the CA primaries, we'll do this again. They all want to know who I'm voting for. I never directly say.

Precinct 6, a precinct made up of largely undereducated voters, was only given the option of a Democratic caucus, because 1) their blank stares indicated that the people would only be able to handle doing this once as an intellectual exercise and 2) the Democratic party was overwhelmingly popular in other precincts with a similar age demographic.

Interestingly, when Obama was described in this precinct, one popular leader said: " A black guy? That would be cool!" but then, surprisingly, this individual caucused for Clinton, taking 80% of his ethnic demographic with him. The few that didn't go for Clinton and were in this demographic went for Edwards.

Anonymous said...

Even if he has lost NH, OUR Man won! I believe Obama did win NH. Considering how low in the polls he was jus a few days ago, the last few days have been a big leap forward for the candidate for REAL Change and Hope.

Let's hope, Americans uses their brain and not emotions and the question of race and experience to cast their vote. Let's hope America sends Obama all the way to the White House come Novemeber.